This thing is heavy duty! It took a while to design it. Here’s a few things I had to consider in the design process:
- It had to be strong enough to attach to the 2×4 studs in the wall without ripping out from the weight of the TV
- I knew it had to be big! This is a 65″ tv.
- I wanted it to be inset. I wanted it to look like the tv was inside the frame
- I needed it to be finished looking with picture frame details
- I wanted it to match the room with fun exciting colors.
I started off with 3/4″ plywood for the back of the frame. I figured it would be tough enough to hold the weight of the TV after being screwed to the studs. I then cut the mitered frame from 2×6 material and used a combination of the table saw and router to give it a finished frame look. Once it was all attached I primed and painted it. This is a milk paint type of finish so It looks smooth and covers edges nicely. It will also hold up to some abuse. I drilled holes for the TV and attached it. Then I had the unfortunate job of hanging it in place on location. It was heavy but mounted nicely. All in all it was a fun project. I was happy with how fun it made the room look.